NEW YORK (AP) — Samsung’s fire-prone Galaxy Note 7 phone might be heading back to the market, in the form of refurbished or rental phones.
Samsung says it’s considering bringing the recalled units back. The company says it will first consult regulatory authorities and carriers and assess local demand. It’s not yet known when and in which countries such phones would be sold.
Samsung killed the Note 7 phone after dozens overheated and caught on fire.
Samsung recalled one set, but found problems with the replacements as well. The spontaneous fires, many chronicled in videos circulated on YouTube, prompted Samsung to recall millions of phones and take a $5.3 billion hit on its earnings.
Samsung has conducted extensive tests since then and blamed multiple design and manufacturing defects in batteries made by two different companies. That means Samsung could replace phones with safer batteries.
For phones that aren’t returning to the market, Samsung says it will reuse components and recycle what’s left.
Samsung revealed its plans late Monday, just two days before it was scheduled to announce a new flagship phone, the Galaxy S8, at an event in New York.